Alumni Association News & Activities
Established in spring 2007, the Doyon Foundation Alumni Association has already made impressive progress.
The alumni association led a pledge drive at the 2012 Doyon, Limited annual meeting of shareholders, ultimately raising a total of $975.
Alumni members again came together to pool their personal money to purchase a computer for a student in need.
As of late June, alumni raised $1,300 for Doyon Foundation’s new, endowed health competitive scholarship fund. A big thank you to the
following alumni members who opened their hearts – and checkbooks – for this important effort: Karen Clark, Patricia Paul, Charlene Marth,
Audrey Ranstead, Tiffany Sweetsir, Lena Jacobs, Julie Anderson, Becky Gallen, Sarah Obed, Shane Derendoff, Teisha Simmons, Jen McLean,
Linda Fleury, Geri Simon, Malinda Chase, Dawn Dinwoodie, Nikoosh Carlo, Miranda Wright, Linda Evans, Trudy O'Kelly, Amber Kocsis,
Betty Huntington, Patti Brown, LaVerne Demientieff, Helena Schwenter, Tracy Snow and Margaret Matthew.
A group of alumni association members donated money to purchase a new computer for Doyon Foundation student and competitive scholarship
recipient Torin Jacobs. Alumni who donated toward this effort included Laverne Demientieff, Malinda Chase, Anonymous, Doris Gerard,
Lena Jacobs, Julie Biddle, Patti Brown, Sonta Hamilton-Roach, Bernice Joseph, Larissa Sommer, Lee DeWilde, Andrei Jacobs, Cynthia Baldwin,
Shane Derendoff, Orie Williams, Betty Huntington, Nina Heyano, Karen Clark, Linda Fleury, Dawn Dinwoodie, Charlene Ostbloom, Angela Gonzalez,
Cora Maguire, Patricia Paul, Nikoosh Carlo, Tom Berreth, Becky Gallen and Charlene Marth.
- The alumni association grew to 122 members strong.
- This dedicated group of volunteers continued their efforts to support students and network with each other by hosting student dinners,
delivering snacks to students during finals week, calling to remind students of upcoming application deadlines, and offering mentorship when requested.
- In the future, the association plans to involve themselves more in the Tanana Chiefs Convention youth conference, seek opportunities to network with
middle and high school students, and offer job shadowing.
- The alumni association hosted a student dinner in Fairbanks on Saturday, March 28, 2009.
- The association is also working with the Foundation to organize and host an educational summit for students in spring 2009.
- The Foundation and the association recently conducted an online, student survey to determine how the association can more effectively mentor
and support our students. Read more about the survey results here.
- On March 29, 2008, the alumni association hosted a spring student dinner in Fairbanks. Nearly 70 students, alumni and guests attended the
event, which included dinner, networking opportunities, a performance by the Pavaa dancers, and loads of door prizes.
- On August 21, 2008, the Doyon Foundation Alumni Association hosted the first-ever alumni cookout at the Pioneer Park Wilderness Area
in Fairbanks. Doyon Foundation alumni, friends and family members attended the event, which featured a BBQ, potluck and networking opportunities.
To view event photos, click here.
- On September 18, 2008, Doyon Foundation and the Doyon Foundation Alumni Association hosted its first event in Anchorage – a potluck
for Anchorage-area alumni, current students, friends and family. Approximately 40 people attended the event, which took place at
Southcentral Foundation’s Gathering Room. To read more, click here.
- On September 27, 2008, the alumni association hosted its fall student dinner in Fairbanks. Approximately 60 students, alumni and
other supporters were present for the event.
- In December 2008, alumni in Anchorage and Fairbanks volunteered to deliver snacks to students at the University of Alaska
Anchorage and University of Alaska Fairbanks during finals week.
- On September 22, 2007, association members hosted a student dinner, which drew approximately 50 students, alumni and family
members from the Fairbanks area.
- The association launched a program to match current students with alumni supporters for the 2007 – 2008 school year.
- Students staying in Fairbanks for Thanksgiving were invited to share the holiday dinner with association members and their families.
For more information or to get involved
, contact Tracy Snow at 907.451.0543 or firstname.lastname@example.org