Learning a language isn’t something you do on your own – it’s about speaking and sharing with others! To get the conversation started, we’re teaming up with our friends at 7000 Languages for the In Your Words Video Challenge (part of the 10-year anniversary celebration of our language revitalization program)!
We invite you to record a short video sharing your favorite word or phrase in one of the Doyon region languages. Then, post it on TikTok or Instagram, and tag and follow us. The top 10 videos with the highest engagement will be featured in a showcase premiering on February 21, International Mother Language Day!
The video challenge launched Tuesday, December 13, 2022, coinciding with the start of UNESCO’s International Decade of Indigenous Languages. Entries will be accepted through the extended deadline of Friday, January 27, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. AKST.
Did we mention there will be prizes? The creators of the top three videos with the highest engagement will win prizes from 7000 Languages:
- 1st prize – $100 gift card to Collective 49
- 2nd prize – $50 gift card to Collective 49
- 3rd prize- $25 gift card to Collective 49
HOW TO ENTER
- Challenge starts Tuesday, December 13, 2022, at 12 a.m. AKST and ends Friday, January 27, 2023, at 11:59 p.m. AKST.
- Create a 30- to 60-second, language-related video teaching us your favorite Indigenous words/phrases and upload to TikTok or Instagram Reels.
- Tag AND follow @doyonfoundation and @7000languages on TikTok and/or Instagram.
- Enter as many times as you like (but only one prize will be awarded per winner).
- Creators of the top three videos with the highest engagement will receive prizes. Winners will be announced on Friday, February 24, and contacted via social media. Winners will have seven days to claim their prize. If prize is not claimed after seven days, Doyon Foundation and 7000 Languages have the right to award the prize to another contestant.
- By participating in the challenge, you are providing Doyon Foundation and 7000 Languages permission to use your video(s) in other communications, including but not limited to the video challenge showcase, Native Word of the Month, and on Doyon Foundation’s and 7000 Languages’ social media channels.
Questions? Contact Kelsey Riggs at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We can’t wait to see your videos – good luck!