Loretta Lolnitz, an apprentice in our Mentor Apprentice Program, was a snowshoe racer for 20 years. In our February Native word of the month, Loretta shares the story of how she gave her youngest son a Denaakk’e name inspired by her love of snowshoeing.
Oyh K’edzaaye = Snowshoe HeartDenaakk’e (Koyukon)
For more Native words, view our archives on the Foundation website.
Denaakk’e is one of the languages available to learn in Doyon Languages Online. Currently available courses include:
- Benhti Kokhut’ana Kenaga’ (Lower Tanana)
- Deg Xinag
- Denaakk’e (Koyukon)
- Dihthaad Xt’een Iin Aanděeg’ (Tanacross)
- Dinak’i (Upper Kuskokwim)
- Dinjii Zhuh K’yaa (Gwich’in)
- Doogh Qinag (Holikachuk)
- Nee’aanèegn’ (Upper Tanana)