Doyon Languages Online
Doyon Languages Online is developing and offering online language-learning lessons for the Alaska Native languages of the Doyon region. These lessons are easily accessible for free to all interested learners and teachers. Doyon Languages Online is accessible on all devices, including desktop and laptop computers, as well as on mobile devices using the Transparent Language app for Apple and Android. Watch our short instructional videos on how to download and use the app.
About Doyon Languages Online
The Doyon Languages Online project is a partnership with 7000 Languages, a nonprofit that supports endangered language learning partially through software donated by Transparent Language. In 2016, we received a three-year, $900,000 grant from the Administration for Native Americans to help fund the project. In fall 2017, we received a three-year, $977,423 grant from the U.S. Department of Education – Alaska Native Educational Program to expand the project efforts.
With these two grants, we produced online learning opportunities for nine of the 10 Indigenous languages of the Doyon region. The first set of online courses were made available in summer 2019, and all nine courses are now available for free to all interested learners.
Through Doyon Languages Online, our goal is to increase the number of people who speak Benhti Kokhut’ana Kenaga’ (Lower Tanana), Deg Xinag, Denaakk’e (Koyukon), Dihthaad Xt’een Iin Aanděeg’ (Tanacross), Dinak’i (Upper Kuskokwim), Dinjii Zhuh K’yaa (Gwich’in), Doogh Qinag (Holikachuk), Hän, and Nee’aanèegn’ (Upper Tanana) by:
- Creating introductory online language-learning lessons for each of the languages
- Training teachers in the use of the technology through partnerships with school districts, and field testing lessons with students
- Creating a template document that helps other language communities in the Doyon area to complete similar online language lesson projects
The project is blessed with a diverse group of experts that make up our development team:
- Elders from the language community
- Educators with 10+ years of experience
- Linguists that specialize in Athabascan languages
- Doyon Foundation staff
- Software partners at Transparent Online and 7000 Languages
- Benhti Kokhut’ana Kenaga’ (Lower Tanana)
- Deg Xinag
- Denaakk’e (Koyukon)
- Dihthaad Xt’een Iin Aanděeg’ (Tanacross) (Doyon Languages Online course, plus online course based on the work of Irene Solomon Arnold)
- Dinak’i (Upper Kuskokwim)
- Dinjii Zhuh K’yaa (Gwich’in)
- Doogh Qinag (Holikachuk)
- Hän (Doyon Languages Online course, plus special memorial course based on the work of the late Isaac Juneby)
- Nee’aanèegn’ (Upper Tanana) (Doyon Languages Online course, plus online course based on the work of Avis Sam)